Saturday, April 29, 2006

RE: [KER] Finding My Irish - Sharon Shea Bossard

Hi, Liz

Boy, I never thought of Florida having droughts. Freezes, yeah, but not droughts.

But we’re much like Florida in that agriculture (corn, soybeans, wheat and other grains, potatoes, a few garden crops, etc.) is very important to the state so we hear very quickly when rainfall is too sufficient or insufficient or the fields are too wet to plant in the spring or too dry to grow, etc.

But I’m just an urban type, I wanna go out and play! Especially in the Spring when we have just finished having 4 months of cold and snow.

I do remember when we had a real drought in the 70s when occasionally freeways would get closed cuz fires were too close to them and even if they weren’t closed, you always seemed to see a fire or two when out driving. But my folks are gone now and I don’t drive much in rural areas any more.

And even then you could tell that we were all farmers at heart. We in the city would invariably daily have a conversation that included the following exchange that summer: “Isn’t this weather great?� and then “Yeah, but the poor farmers!�

But most of our droughts break fairly quickly. We have lots of warm humidity coming up from the Gulf of Mexico, and enough cool winds coming out of Canada, and dry hot winds out of the west or southwest that at some point, rain results.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lizziems@aol.com [mailto:Lizziems@aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006 11:56 AM
To: raymarsh@mninter.net
Subject: Re: [KER] Finding My Irish - Sharon Shea Bossard

Ray

Be thankful for your rain - we are in a drought here for the past two months. Wildfires raging for the past three days, just North of me. Interstate 95 was closed for two days on and off where the smoke and fire just covered the road - then jumped the road to the West side of I-95 and now closing down Interstate 538 (Beeline) to Orlando.

No threat to me, and from what I understand no homes lost (yet), but some scary times for a lot of homeowners.

Liz, safe, South of the mess but getting the smell of it all.

No comments: