Sunday, April 30, 2006

Comments on St Joan of Arc Parish

Adoro Te Devote blog
January 2006

Ray Marshall said...

I used to attend St Joan's a long time ago (I'm now a member of the Basilica parish but as often as not find myself at Nativity in St Paul).

I had hoped that the new pastor at SJA, recruited personally by the Archbishop, would put the brakes on some of their activities. But he's only been there a month and this revisionist teacher probably was scheduled some time ago.

Frankly, as evidenced by the number of Catholics who do not know or understand their faith, the entire American Church could be found to be guilty of gross malfeasance of office.

Regularly, I hear the most astounding things in a Spiritual Journey Group whose sessions I attend at the Basilica. But as we aren't there to debate, I generally let them pass.

One of our members attends St Joans.

I enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work.

(Curt Jester picked up your SJA piece and that's how I found you).

Ray in South Minneapolis, more towards St Paul, though.

10:07 AMDelete

Ray Marshall said...

I just checked out the SJA link that Curt Jester provided. Take a gander at the picture of the audience.

http://www.stjoan.com/thumb1fr.htm

Most of the attendees look like they graduated from high school in the 50s. These are the people who were inspired by Vatican II in the belief that the laity would begin to run the Church. I have many friends who still believe that.

I recall having a conversation with one friend in particular a few years ago who was almost in tears as he had to admit that that was not going to be the case.

That belief is one of the many things that grew out of Vatican II, but that had no basis in fact.

I don't know about St Joan’s, but my observation in attending Mass at the Basilica, St Olaf's, Nativity, the Cathedral, etc. is that there are a lot of 30 somethings and families at Mass and a significant number of folks who arrive early for prayer, stay late, participate in Perpetual Adoration, light votive candles and march in Eucharistic processions.

So it's not all bad.

Ray

10:22 AM

Delete

Ray Marshall said...

When I attended SJA, it was in the early 80s and right at the end of Fr. Harvey Egan's tenure. He started the "looseness" but was reasonably orthodox, other than the homilies. But nobody objected from the chancery.

And he was crafty. He would get up, give a two or three minute homily to satisfy the liturgical requirements, which generally was pretty good, and then introduce the main speaker, who would be a lay person, and generally speaking on a topic in which I was not at all interested and often didn't even have anything to do with religion. I left soon after Fr. Egan retired.

I just didn't like the whole "gym" scene. But they did have a nice orthodox 7:30 a.m. Mass in the church that I attended a few times.

You are correct in that there is a large homosexual community at the Basilica and they have an active social group. But to my knowledge, "sashes" have not been used there.

And I would agree that the majority of the parish is pretty liberal. But most of the "liberalness" is reflected outwardly only in standing at the Consecration and in the substitution of the word "God" for "man" and "him" at various points in the Mass.

Of course, internally, since the vast majority under 50 have not had much catechesis, their beliefs are often not orthodox, and they don't care. Relativism reigns. And many of those over 50 are the rebels who want to see the laity in control of the Church.

But there are 7,000 people on the mailing list, so that still leaves room for others.

The parish is starting to have adult education classes and events and I would expect over time, more and more people will take advantage of these and benefit. They have an arrangement with priests and teachers from St. John's in Collegeville to do some of the instruction.

I attended a 5 hours class on the Holy Trinity just before Christmas and it was great.

A lot of people believe that the riot act should be read at both places and drastic measures taken to get rid of dissenters. But all that would do is drive people away. And there are a half dozen or more parishes that have the same problems.

Might it not be better to be welcoming, as the Basilica is, and maybe over time bring people back into full communion.

I personally, was away from the Church for 20 years. I didn't join any other Church. I was just lazy. Of course, I still considered myself to be Catholic, but knowing I was not at all ready for the final judgment.

I thank God daily for the graces that got me back. And I pray that people I know get those same graces.

Since the Church was the one to let loose the reins starting in 1965 (when the whole country was in a state of rebellion anyway because of Vietnam, the Civil Rights movements and the drug culture, clamping down on these people just wouldn't work.

I was lucky. And I thank God for it.

4:55 PM

Delete

No comments: